3/01/2013

the closet project (a guest post)

It's no secret that I love clothes and things. I've had a shopping habit for as long as I can remember. And I have fought giving it up for just as long.

I started reading 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess a few weeks back, and it's wrecked me. Specifically when it comes to clothes and just how many articles of clothing (and pairs of shoes) I have and do not need. And when it comes to buying new articles of clothing because I feel like I need to keep up with others. 7 was very clear on how little we need. And it made me really look at what I have in my closet and in the entire armoire I use just for my belongs. 3/4 of a walk-in master closet and an entire armoire is a bit excess, don't you this?

It's no coincidence that this all happened right around my knee surgery. I'm much happier in yoga pants than anything else. And I see just how unnecessary over 20 cardigans are.
my uniform as of late. yoga pants, grey tee-shirt, hot pink hoodie.
I'm also proud to say I never purchased the clothing I added into my on-line cart on Tuesday! In fact, other than the two pairs of Bob's I bought, I haven't purchased any clothes while being at home. I mean, it's not like I have anywhere to wear new clothes to right now...

But back to 7... I met Kelli around the same time, and I instantly liked her. She was also reading 7 and was being wrecked as well. Rather than tell you her story, I'll let Kelli take it away!



Hey there friends! My name is Kelli and I blog at Eat Pray {read} Love. It is so nice to "meet" you!   I am so appreciative of Leslie letting me take over her lovely blog for a moment! I asked her to let me share with you a project that God has laid on my heart - but let me share a little about myself first! 

This is me with my hubby. We've been married 11 years and have four sweet kiddos- ages 7, 6, 2, and 3 months. My husband is a church planter and we live in the South. I love to read, cook, go to the beach (obviously!) and watch movies with my family.


And.... this is my closet! Glad we're getting to know one another so well, so quickly!


How about another one?

#theclosetproject
embarrassed for me yet?
Please tell me I'm not the only one whose closet looks like this! With parenting four kids, being a preacher's wife, co-leading a Bible study, homeschooling, blogging, and life, my closet probably gets the least attention in the whole house. It somehow always seems overflowing. With clothes I never wear.

About two months ago, I felt God tell me to get RID of the excess and GIVE to those who need. I wasn't sure just yet where he would have me give, but human trafficking has been on my mind so much lately. Enter Redeemed Ministries. Their focus is to help women in the Houston area that are enslaved in sex trafficking. If you're like I was until last year, you may think that human trafficking is an international problem- which it is. 

But it is also a US problem. In fact, one that hits very close to my home. And maybe yours too.

Thus, The Closet Project was born. Women uniting forces- paring down to step up.

Here's the lowdown:
1.) Pare down your wardrobe to what you actually wear.

2.) Sell what you don't. Take them to resale shops, sell them on eBay, have a garage sell, sell them to your friends!

3.) Donate directly to Redeemed Ministries

4.) Go to this form to let me know how much you were able to donate. ANYTHING helps! Seriously! Only have $5 to spare? Great, that is wonderful. Got a cool million burning a hole in your pocket? I'm sure Redeemed would be SO happy to receive that, too! :)

During these last few months, God has been slowly but surely peeling back and exposing layers of selfishness that I didn't even know I had. It's been so refreshing to see that he provides when I decide to obey. I've been surrounded by enough clothes to wardrobe a small village, and it's overwhelming.

I have a goal- to raise $500 for Redeemed. I am currently 14% of the way there, and know of more that will be coming in.

Ladies, I really appreciate your time today. If you'd like to read a little more detail of the project, goals, etc. please click here. I'll leave you with these words from the book of Matthew:

 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (25:40). Let's help "the least of these," shall we?

PS I'd be very grateful if you'd help spread the word by sharing this tweet --->

Team up with  to help modern-day slaves and pare down your closet too.  

Photobucket
100x600LRad

1 comment:

  1. Thanks friend for posting this! And so proud of you for restraining the shopping while at home. That's HARD! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...