12/31/2012

we'll conquer them all

I saw the following survey on Howdy Girl and thought I would give it a try. Makes wrapping up the eyar 2012 a bit easier for me. Maybe in 2013 I will learn how to better sort, file, and label my posts? Also maybe I will do a better job of taking lots of pictures in 2013...

What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? 2012 was a big year. We sold our first house, signed a contract to build a new house, and moved in with my in-laws. We also moved into our new house. We hosted Christmas (a day late) at our house.

Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did make resolutions for 2013. The resolutions I made for 2012 I didn't keep all the way. Though I am much happier than I was when 2012 started. And that's worth more than keeping any number of resolutions in my book.

Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. Although more people are due in 2013 than were in 2012.

What countries did you visit? Does Texas count as a country?

What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? More free time. I'm not sure if that will happen naturally or if it is something I will have to make happen. There is so much I didn't do in 2012 due to lack of free time, and I refuse to use that as an excuse in 2013.

What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory? I'm not the best at remembering dates. My husband is much better at that. But there were a lot of dates that stick out. I started two new jobs in February. I moved into our new house on December 1st.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? Not giving up. I haven't always been great at sticking to my plan of weight loss, but I have never given up. I think the fact that I also joined Weight Watchers is a big achievement. It took quite a lot for me to ask for help and admit that my way of losing weight just wasn't cutting it.

What was your biggest failure? I do not want to look back at 2012 as a year that had any failures. Rather I am determined to see setbacks and what I learned from them. You only fail if you don't try again.

Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes. Most recently I hurt my left knee. You can read about my thoughts regarding my illnesses and injuries here. I take full responsibility for how I have treated my body and vow to make 2013 a healthier year.

What was the best thing you bought? Our new house. Appaently, 2012 was the year of our house which is odd since we will celebrate a month in our house tomorrow.

Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband. He has been a constant source of companionship. He has also lovingly called me out on my unhealthy habits and supported me even when I was not doing well with weight loss. I feel truly blessed by him.

Where did most of your money go? Target. At least I save 5% on every transaction with my RedCard. Though it is a little startingly to look at how much I have saved and then multiply it by 20... We also spent quite a bit of money on our old house - getting it ready to be sold. Then there are bills (mortgage, car payment, student loans, etc.). We also did a better job of giving money away.

What did you get really, really, really excited about? Moving into our new house. Selling our old house. Seeing where God is taking us and what all He is doing in our lives. The weekend I spent with my best friend.

What song will always remind you of 2012? This is a tough one. I'm not sure there is one song that will remind me of 2012 more than any other. One song I listened to a lot was Before The Morning by Josh Wilson. I started listening to it in 2011 and it helped to carry me into and through 2012. I also love everything by Taylor Swift and Mumford & Sons.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
  • Happier or sadder? Happier!
  • Thinner or fatter? Thinner!
  • Richer or poorer? Richer!
  • What do you wish you’d done more of? Reading, writing, crafting!
  • What do you wish you’d done less of? Shopping... Then I would be even richer.
How will you be spending did you spend Christmas? We celebrated 4 Christmases this year. It was one of the best holiday seasons I have ever had.

Did you fall in love in 2012? I stayed in-love with my husband. I also grew to love him in a deeper way and also grew to respect him even more.

How many one-night stands? Zero. I am happily married, you know.

Who were your best friends? Jackie. My husband. I've also grown much closer to a few of our couple friends. I am so thankful for couple friends.

What thing did you do that was meaningful to others? I hope a lot.. I do a lot that I don't talk about on the blog. And for me, I want it to stay that way. I do meaningful things to bless others - not to get recognition.

What were your favorite TV programs? Grey's Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, Hart of Dixie, Modern Family, New Girl... to name a few.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No. I also didn't hate anyone in 2012. Life is too short for hate.

What was the best book you read in 2012? Love Does by Bob Goff.

What was your greatest musical discovery? I adore the new Mumford & Sons album.

What did you want and get? A new house. Two new jobs.

What did you want but did NOT get? A new MacBook. I don't need one just yet, but I will soon. Maybe in 2013?

What was your favorite film of this year? Argo was incredible - probably one of the best movies I have ever seen.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 27. My parents flew Justin and I to Houston to celebrate. Celebrating my birthday with my parents and brother was such a blessing.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I really can't think of anything. 2012 was what I needed. And there's no point in wishing it had been different.

What kept you sane? Music. Working out. My husband.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Justin Timberlake (who my husband claims is his twin....). I'm pretty sure he will be the celebrity/public figure I always fancy the most.

What political issue stirred you the most? Almost everything. There's a reason I do not talk about politics; it's just not worth arguing about. I am entitled to my opinions and you are entitled to yours.

Who did you miss? My parents. My Nana. My grandma and grandpa. My brother. My aunt and cousins. I'm hoping to see my family more in 2013..

Who was the best new person you met this year? I met a lot of people this year, and they all positively impacted my life. I am looking forward to continuing some very special friendships for several years. I'm being vague because I honestly don't think any one person was better than the other. I am probably most thankful for the girls at the group home; they turned me into a mom and gave me a lot of passion for foster care and social work.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. God is bigger than anything and everything. He is always at work.

Also.. Love wins - every single time.

Quote that sums up your year... "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot... Nothing is going to get better. It's not." The Lorax, Dr. Seuss

(title from "awake my soul" by mumford & sons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...